This Creamy Whole30 Leek and Potato Soup with Bacon is simple, scrumptious and comforting. It’s hearty, filling and will be loved 12 months spherical. It additionally occurs to be gluten-free and dairy-free.
What You Want for Whole30 Leek and Potato Soup
- Good High quality Broth: For extra depth of flavour and extra vitamins, I like to make use of Kettle & Fire Chicken Broth on this Leek and Potato Soup. It’s Whole30 Permitted, sugar-free, very handy, made with all-natural and natural components and tastes nice!
For much more of a concentrated flavour, protein and collagen, strive substituting Kettle & Fire Chicken Bone Broth. Or, in the event you want a lighter tasting soup, you need to use Kettle & Fire Vegetable Broth.
- Leeks: Leeks are stuffed with grime and sand so be sure you slice them in half, lengthwise, and provides every layer an excellent rinse earlier than slicing them up.
- Onion: For added sweetness, I prefer to sauté a yellow onion alongside the leeks.
- Yellow Potatoes: Yellow fleshed potatoes, like Yukon Golds, are best on this Leek and Potato soup due to their stunning golden color, creamy texture and flavour profile. For one thing low-glycemic and a bit of sweeter in flavour, strive substituting candy potatoes or Japanese yams.
- Bacon: It’s not completely obligatory and you’ll undoubtedly omit it, however I like to brown some bacon as a flavourful base to the soup. It provides a salty, smoky, meaty flavour and the bacon bits present a scrumptious texture. You could possibly additionally substitute your favorite crumbled sausage or turkey bacon.
- Recent Rosemary or Thyme: Rosemary tends to impart a stronger flavour than thyme, however both of the 2 will work right here. Notice: if substituting dried herbs, use round 1/2 the quantity of recent.
- Chives: For a pop of color and flavour, I prefer to garnish the Whole30 Leek and Potato Soup with some thinly sliced recent chives.
- Full-Fats Coconut Milk: The trick to getting the creamy texture from coconut milk with out the highly effective coconut flavour is to scale back it with the aromatics earlier than including the broth. Should you had been so as to add the coconut milk on the very finish, the soup would get a lovely color, but in addition plenty of coconut flavour, which isn’t essentially what we’re after on this specific recipe.
All this to say, this Whole30 Leek and Potato Soup doesn’t style like coconut.
Creamy Whole30 Leek and Potato Soup with Bacon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 slices sugar-free bacon thinly sliced
- 2 leeks white and light-weight inexperienced components solely, rinsed properly and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- Kosher salt to style
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3 kilos yellow potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 32- ounce cartons Kettle and Fireplace Natural Rooster or Vegetable Broth
- 2 sprigs recent rosemary or thyme
- 2 bay leaves dry or recent
- Freshly-cracked black pepper to style
- ¼ cup thinly sliced recent chives for garnish
In a big sauté pan or stockpot, mix the olive oil and bacon. Prepare dinner, stirring, over medium warmth till the bacon is golden brown and crispy, round 6 minutes. Reserving the cooking fats within the pan, use a slotted spoon to switch the bacon to a plate lined with paper towel. Put aside.
Add the leeks and onion and season with a pinch of salt. Prepare dinner, stirring commonly, till gentle and translucent, round 6 minute. Add the garlic and prepare dinner, stirring, 60 seconds. Add the coconut milk and prepare dinner, stirring, till lowered by ¼ in quantity, round 3 minutes.
Add the potatoes, hen broth, rosemary and bay leaves. Carry the liquid to a boil, cowl with a lid, cut back the warmth to medium and prepare dinner till the potatoes are fork-tender, round 12 minutes.
Discard the rosemary stems and bay leaves. Utilizing an immersion blender or common blender, mix the soup till clean. Style for seasoning and modify with salt and pepper as desired. Ladle the soup into particular person serving bowls and garnish with the reserved cooked bacon and chives.