1. PREPARING YOUR CHRISTMAS HAM CURE
Curing your ham appropriately might be the only most vital a part of the whole course of. The remedy in your equipment has been designed to remedy a 3-3.5kg leg of pork. This isn’t a lower you’ll usually discover in retailer, so ask your native butcher to assist out by ordering one, or reducing one recent for you.
Put together 10L of distilled water by heating in a big inventory pot, and including your salt and sugar, and stirring till they dissolve.
Add the water to the bathtub, then place within the fridge in a single day to relax down. You possibly can alternatively throw in ice cubes to convey down the water temp rapidly.
While that’s cooling proper down (as you don’t need the ham to begin cooking whenever you place it within the water), trim any fats or silver pores and skin from the pork, whereas leaving your prime fats cap intact. We’re going to order this for later to maintain the ham moist within the bag.
As soon as the water is chilled down, add the remedy combine and stir till the curing salts dissolve. Add your ham to the liquid, ensuring it’s absolutely submerged.
Place the lid on the bathtub and put within the fridge for the subsequent 28 days.
CHECK ON YOUR BRINE DAILY
– IF ANY MOULD FORMS ON THE SURFACE, SKIM IT OFF IMMEDIATELY. MUSTARD SEEDS FOUND IN THE CURE MAY BIND TOGETHER
– MAKE SURE YOUR BRINE STILL SMELLS “BRINEY” THROUGHOUT THE PROCESS
– SOME JELLY LIKE BLOBS MAY FORM IN THE CURE, SKIM THESE OUT
– IF IN DOUBT, REMOVE THE MEAT FROM THE BRINE, RINSE IT THOROUGHLY AND MAKE A CLEAN BRINE