This scrumptious, comforting and Simple French Onion Soup is the right marriage of caramelized onions and flavourful beef broth. The key is just a little little bit of endurance and high-quality broth. This recipe is a bit lighter than traditional variations of the soup, but it surely nonetheless packs a severe flavour punch.
What You Want for Simple French Onion Soup
- Beef Bone Broth: A high-quality beef broth makes all of the distinction on this Simple French Onion Soup. For finest outcomes, I like to recommend utilizing beef bone broth, although rooster bone broth would work as properly. Not solely does bone broth have a deeper flavour, it is usually excessive in collagen and vitamins which might be nice for intestine well being.
Kettle & Fire makes distinctive bone broths which might be scrumptious and extremely handy. They’re made with all-natural elements and don’t have any added sugars, preservatives or colourings. They’re excessive in collagen and protein and I significantly love the truth that they’re shelf secure in order that they don’t take up beneficial freezer area.
You may order Kettle & Fire Broths online and use code PRIMALGOURMET for an additional 20% OFF your order.
- Yellow Onions: As a result of the onions shall be cooked down till caramelized and candy, I like to recommend saving some cash and shopping for extra inexpensive yellow varieties.
- Recent Thyme and Bay Leaves: It’s value grabbing some contemporary thyme and bay leaves right here as a result of it imparts an aroma that you simply simply don’t get from the dried stuff. Nonetheless, should you don’t have contemporary, you possibly can substitute dry. Simply you should definitely use round 1/4 the quantity.
- Garlic: As at all times, be happy to make use of as a lot or as little garlic as your coronary heart needs. I often add greater than the recipe requires. Even when it’s my very own.
- Grass-Fed Butter or Ghee: For further flavour, I add a few tablespoons of butter to the onions midway by means of the sautéing course of. Not solely does it make the soup extra scrumptious, but it surely additionally helps the onions caramelize with out using sugar. Utilizing ghee is an alternative choice for many who need to preserve issues Paleo or Whole30.
- Crusty Bread: I like to make use of leftover slices of my No-Knead Bread drizzled with a little bit of olive oil and toasted within the oven. Be happy to make use of any loaf you want, gluten-free or in any other case.
- Gruyère Cheese: Gruyère is nice alternative for this Simple French Onion Soup. It melts very properly and offers you these lovely, lengthy, tacky pulls that everybody loves. For those who can’t discover Gruyère, you possibly can substitute Emmental, Provolone, or Mozzarela, Fontina or Gouda.
Can You Make French Onion Soup Whole30 and Paleo?
To maintain issues Whole30 and Paleo you need to use ghee as an alternative of butter and omit the crouton and cheese garnish. It’s nonetheless a deeply flavourful soup that’s hearty and scrumptious.
Simple French Onion Soup
- 3 tablespoons further virgin olive oil plus further for croutons
- 3 kilos yellow onions round 6 giant onions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or ghee
- 2 16.9 oz cartons Kettle & Hearth Basic Beef Bone Broth round 4.25 cups
- 3 sprigs contemporary thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 4 slices of crusty bread round 1-inch thick
- 1 cup loosely packed grated Gruyère cheese
Preheat a big sauté pan or inventory pot over medium warmth. Add the olive oil and warmth till shimmering. Add the onions and season with a pinch of salt. Cook dinner, stirring often, till the onions are gentle and translucent and have lowered in quantity by half, round 20 minutes. Add the butter and cook dinner, stirring often, till the onions are golden brown and caramelized. Add the garlic and cook dinner, stirring, 1 minute.
Add the Kettle & Hearth Basic Beef Bone Broth, thyme, bay leaves and pepper. Convey the soup to a delicate simmer, cowl with a lid, cut back the warmth to low and cook dinner 10-Quarter-hour for the flavours to return collectively.
In the meantime, preheat oven to 450F. Place the bread on a sheet pan and calmly drizzle with olive oil. Switch to oven and toast till golden brown, round 10 minutes, flipping midway.
Place oven-safe bowls or ramekins onto a sheet pan to catch any overflow. Ladle within the soup, high with croutons and cheese. Swap the oven to broil, place the soup on the highest rack of the oven and cook dinner till the cheese is melted and effervescent, round 2 minutes. Take away from oven and let cool 5 minutes earlier than serving.