In the case of fork-tender, completely cooked medium-rare steaks, this sous vide filet mignon recipe is flawless each single time. Completed with an ideal forged iron sear and topped with a wealthy steak sauce, that is restaurant-quality fantastic eating at house. However why is sous vide the right methodology for cooking this reduce?
The Reduce: Filet Mignon
In the case of the king of tender steaks, the filet mignon is it. This reduce is known for its fork-tender reduce at steakhouses and fantastic eating institutions worldwide. Reduce from the entire tenderloin, an underworked muscle on the again of the cow; it’s a lean reduce with minimal marbling that’s begging to be the middle of the plate for romantic dinners and wonderful date nights.
Nonetheless, as a consequence of its minimal marbling, this reduce victims when cooked previous medium and may dry out shortly. It additionally has a gentle beef taste, so pairing it with a tremendous steak sauce recipe or wealthy compound butter to serve is all the time an important concept.
Why sous vide steaks?
Altho we love a pan-seared filet mignon on busy nights, it’s the very best steak for the sous vide methodology as a result of the exact temperature-controlled water tub ensures the steak cooks to the right temperature. This cooking methodology is the one technique to get the precise temperature from edge to edge for the very best outcomes—mitigating the danger altogether of drying out the meat. It’s science!
This sous vide steak is completed with a fast sear in a piping scorching forged iron skillet so as to add a pleasant crust and assist the general look of the meat.
And, sure, it appears fancy, and sure, it’s enjoyable to sound like a French chef; the sous vide cooking methodology is simple, even simpler than grilled filet mignon. When you set the sous vide tub with the immersion circulator and drop the vacuum-sealed steaks in, you’ll be able to work on the edges. This methodology is ideal for thicker steaks and prime rib roasts. It additionally works nice for sous vide beef tenderloin in case you’re feeding a crowd.
- Filet mignon steaks, search for even-sized at about 6 to eight oz and 1 1/2″ thick filets. Need to save a couple of pennies? Try how you can trim a complete beef tenderloin into your individual filet steaks.
- Salt – we all the time use kosher salt
- Unsalted butter
- Garlic Cloves
Easy methods to sous vide filet mingon
- Begin by patting the steaks dry with paper towels and safe the sides with butcher’s twine. This helps to retain their form as they cook dinner. Then place the steaks in a vacuum seal bag. We seal every individually with a vacuum sealer to make sure a great seal.
- Arrange your sous vide cooker and the water tub for 120 levels F. Let the water come as much as temperature earlier than including the steaks within the vacuum bag.
- When the water is at 120F, place the steaks within the water tub, slowly to ensure no leaks seem. Cowl them with a mesh wight to maintain them submerged. Let the filets cook dinner within the sous vide for two hours.
- Rigorously take away the steaks from the sous vide water tub and luggage. Discard the luggage and pat the steaks dry once more.
- Subsequent, Season the sous vide filet mignon steaks liberally with salt (and in case you really feel like actually going wild, add a few of my umami powder to beef issues up). Preheat a forged iron pan over medium-high warmth.
- As quickly because the pan simply begins to smoke, add the butter and swirl to coat. Lay the rosemary and garlic within the pan. Gently place the steaks into the new pan and sear.
- With out transferring the steaks, baste them within the melted butter. And when a great crust varieties, about 2 minutes, flip the steaks and repeat on the opposite aspect.
- Instantly switch the steaks from warmth to relaxation, take away the butchers twice, and add a pat of compound butter to every steak whereas it rests for five minutes. Then lastly, serve it scorching along with your favourite steakhouse aspect dishes and a steak sauce.
GirlCarnivore Skilled Tip
If the sous vide cooks the filet mignon steaks completely, why the sear? Proper out of the water tub, they’re the right cook dinner, technically. However they don’t have the very best look. The sear provides colour to the meat but additionally an exquisite crust that offers every chew an exquisite texture.
What to serve with Sous Vide Filet Mignon
Pair filet mignon steaks along with your favourite aspect dishes like smoked mushrooms, creamed spinach or smoked baked potato. When you’re celebrating an important day, Valentine’s day, or only a enjoyable date evening, make this a surf and turf dinner by pairing it with butter-poached lobster tails, bacon-wrapped scallops or high the steaks with our favourite smoked crab imperial recipe for a tremendous dinner.
Steak sauces for filet mignon steaks
As a result of filet has a gentle beef taste, it’s greatest to spice up the umami by pairing it with a scrumptious steak sauce recipe. Attempt a few of our favorites, like purple wine sauce for steaks, bearnaise, brandy peppercorn steaks sauce, or perhaps a blue cheese steak sauce. Alternatively, a roasted garlic do-it-yourself compound butter recipe goes a good distance with these scrumptious steaks too.
Set your sous vide machine to a temperature of 120 levels F and let it carry the water to temperature earlier than inserting the steaks in. 120F will enable the steak to cook dinner to a flawless even pink inner colour from edge to edge and medium-rare filet mignon when served.
Set the sous vide machine 10 levels beneath your required doneness. Bear in mind, the steak will proceed to rise 10 to fifteen levels with carry-over cooking when seared and rested.
For a 1 1/2 inch filet mignon, sous vide the steaks for not than 2 hours. As a result of this can be a naturally tender reduce, something longer than that dangers the meat changing into too delicate to be satisfying. This makes for that signature ‘reduce with a fork‘ tenderness with out the meat getting too delicate.
Give these mouthwatering steaks a go, and tell us what you consider the sous vide approach! Be sure you charge the recipe and go away a remark to assist others out!
Get an ideal medium-rare fork tender filet mignon each time with the sous vide methodology. Cooked to perfection and completed with a fast forged iron sear, that is one of the simplest ways to cook dinner filet mingon steaks.
Prep the Filets
Pat the steaks dry with paper towels and tie the circumfrance with butchers twine.
Prep the sous vide water tub for 120 levels F and permit it to come back to temperature.
Seal the steaks in a vacuum bag or ziplock bag, ensuring all air is extracted.
Sous Vide the Steaks
When the water is prepared, place within the sous vide water, checking to ensure there aren’t any leaks. If wanted add a weight to maintain the steaks below water.
Let the filets cook dinner for two hours, submurdged in water.
Rigorously carry the plastic luggage out of the water.
Open the bag and take away the steak.
Pat the steaks dry once more and season liberally with salt on all sides.
Sear the filet mignons
Preheat a forged iron skillet over medium-high warmth till it simply behins to smoke.
Add the butter, smashed garlic and rosemary to the pan and swirl to coat.
As quickly because the butter is completed frothing, add the steaks, listening to a robust sizzle and let a crust type for two to three minutes.
Flip and sear the opposite aspect, basting within the melted butter and garlic.
Take away from the skillet and permit the steaks to relaxation for five to 7 minutes.
We love these steaks served with a traditional bearnaise sauce, peppercorn sauce, or purple wine sauce for steaks.
Serving: 1g | Energy: 646kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 16g | Fats: 65g | Saturated Fats: 37g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 20g | Trans Fats: 2g | Ldl cholesterol: 181mg | Sodium: 1570mg | Potassium: 290mg | Fiber: 0.1g | Sugar: 0.1g | Vitamin A: 1417IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 2mg